Friday, 6 September 2013

Favorite thing Friday: Dirty Hair and Dry Shampoo: Why you need to stopsoaping your scalp

As of today, I haven’t washed my hair in five days.
It’s not gross! I promise. It’s awesome.
Let me tell you why you need to stop washing your hair every day:
You’ll have stronger, healthier hair
I almost never use a blow dryer anymore. On the days that I do wash my hair, I sleep with it in a wet braid so it dries over night.
It makes such a difference using a hairdryer only once a week compared to every day! My hair is shinier, stronger, and grows significantly faster now that I don’t use so much heat on it every day.
It’s a time saver
I can cut back on about 45 minutes of my daily morning routine when I don’t wash and dry my hair.
Showers only take about 10 minutes now, as opposed to 20 - and we know that every second counts in the morning, especially on a Monday. Not washing your hair is a huge time saver. 
It's a money saver 
I hardly ever have to buy shampoo and conditioner anymore. It literally lasts me three times longer than it ever did, so I don't feel so bad when I splurge every now and then on nice expensive stuff!
Your hair is easier to style when it’s dirty
Teasing, braiding and twisting are all easier to do when your hair is dirty.
When your hair is dirty, you can get really creative with all sorts of styles – half up, half back, messy/romantic…the possibilities are endless.
Check out a couple of my favourites that I put together in literally under 10 minutes:



Now, don’t just wake up tomorrow and stop washing your hair for a week. Living with dirty hair is a little trick that takes some training and patience.

Here's how to do it:

Buy dry shampoo

There's lots of good kinds out there, but Alterna is my favourite. I buy it at Peppermint Twist but you can also get it at Shephora.


It’s about $25 a bottle, but it’s well worth it. It lasts for months.

It’s similar to baby powder, so you have to be careful with putting it on dark hair. I’ve been using this product for about two years now and used it even when I had the darkest of brown hair (it was almost black), so don’t worry, if I can do it, so can you. Just be sure to rub it all in. If you have blond hair and are on a budget, you can try using baby powder instead. I’ve tried this on my lighter-coloured hair, but I still prefer to use dry shampoo.

You’ll want to sprinkle a little bit in the roots of your hair where it gets oily. I need to use it mostly on my hairline, by the sides of my face and neck. This will help lift the grease and add volume to your hair.

Take it a day at a time

Depending on how often you currently wash your hair, try skipping a day. Either wash it every-other day or every-third day. Just don’t wash it every day.

At first, it might be hard to get used to, and you’re hair will be screaming: “Wash me!”

It's at this time that (after you use dry shampoo on it), you’ll need to invest in cute, stylish headbands to help dress up simple ponytails. Just keep your hair off your face. Two weeks later, try skipping another day of washing it.

Your hair will get use to this new routine in no time. Just be sure to apply dry shampoo as needed.

You have to keep working at it. Within a few months, you should be able to go about 4 days without washing your hair.

Now, I know what you’re thinking: How can I go to a hot yoga class, sweat my ass off, and then not wash my hair?

Well, it’s harder when you’re really active and sweat a lot. Sometimes, you just have to wash your hair. But if you go for a bike ride and only sweat a little bit, there are ways around it:

Steam it

When you have a hot shower, put a towel under the door and let the steam rise. This will help freshen up your hair without giving it a full wash.

Spritz It

Chances are, you already use hairspray on a daily basis. If you don’t, be sure to use some on that you like and smells nice.

Dry Shampoo it

(See above!)

Find other creative hairstyles to play with

Get your hair off your face. Braid it, wear headbands, do whatever you have to do. Look for new, creative styles on YouTube.

If you get to this point, I promise you you’ll never go back!


Dirty hair don't care


For more hair tips, read one of my Favourite Thing Friday posts:

How Flaxseed helped my hair - along with the other major benefits this little seed gives you.

Thanks for reading,

Lisa