Friday, 16 August 2013

How to Kick a Sinus Infection in the Butt

If you've ever had a sinus infection, you know how awful they can be.

Sinus infections are painful, exhausting, and can be quite a serious health problem if not tended to.

Depending on the severity of it and for how long you've had it, you may or not may be able to treat it yourself.

If it lasts for longer than about a week, or is really painful, you need to speak with your doctor. But they key is to know the symptoms and treat it yourself as soon as you can.

For me, I know I am getting a sinus infection when I feel like I am getting the common cold. I feel really tired and congested. I'll rest, drink a lot of fluids, and take my vitamins. But then the next thing I know, my face is swollen, my eyes are puffy and my throat hurts. My cheeks are sore to the touch and I have a raging headache. Then I find myself sitting in outpatients looking for a prescription of antibiotics to help me out.

To avoid your sinus infection getting to that point, I recommend airing on the side of caution and taking these steps as soon as you feel the symptoms coming on:

Buy a saline nasal spray mist instantly
This is just a pure, salt water. It will help loosen your sinuses and keep them moist. You can get it at any drug store or pharmacy. Carry it around with you and use it as much as you want, but at least three times a day.

Steam your face
Boil a pot of water and add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to it. Drape a towel over your head and inhale the steam for a few minutes.

Take a break every now and then during the steam to massage your sinuses (around your check bones and lower-forehead, including in between your eyebrows) to help loosen up the mucus. Do this also after a hot shower.

Be sure to wash off all of your makeup before steaming your face (its also a great facial and will help clean your pores, but be sure to moisturise after because it can dry out your skin) and make sure you don't burn your face. It should be hot, but still comfortable.

Steam your face in total for about 10 minutes at a time.

The Neti Pot is your best friend
During the early symptoms of a sinus infection, use a neti as often as you can, at least twice a day: in the morning and before you go to bed.

Mix a teaspoon of baking soda with the contents of a pro-biotic capsule into purified, warm water and mix it into the neti pot. Use this on each nostril a couple of times.

Never used a Neti Pot before? You can pick them up almost anywhere, including at Shoppers Drug Mart, for only about $12. They are good to have around anyway, and I recommend using one about once a week, especially if you are prone to getting sinus infections.


Photo retrieved from: http://bit.ly/14nl5HW

Blow your nose
When your sinus start to loosen up, blow your nose whenever you can (although chances are, it wont be that often).

Spit out any gunk you feel in your throat - don't swallow it. Swallowing it will just keep in passing through your system. If your throat is sore, chances are its from swallowing the infected mucus (ew!).

Remember - I am not a doctor, so take this information merely as advice that I am giving based on my own personal experiences. Be sure to consult with your family physician if you have any concerns.

I hope this has been helpful!

Thanks for reading,

Lisa