Friday, 28 February 2014

18 signs I’m 30

It’s my 30th birthday today. Happy Birthday to me! It’s a good day. I’m happy, I’m healthy and I am blessed with so many amazing friends and family that sometimes I lose count of them all (which reminds me, I need to count my blessings more often).

Looking back, I don’t think the 18-year-old me would have believed me if I told her where she would be today, 12 years later, at the age of 30. A part of her might say, awesome, that sounds great! And I think another part of her might be surprised that she’s not married with kids yet...someone needs to tell that girl she just can’t have it all ;)

 
One of the only pictures I have of me on my 18th birthday.
What I know: I was at Moxie's on the restaurant side because not all of my friends were 18 yet. My hair was blonde. I borrowed that shirt from a friend and it had the NYC skyline on it. My pants were from Le Chateau. I did a lot of gross shooters that night. That guy's name was Ricky, he was a busboy at the restaurant, and I think he's in jail now.

It’s hard for me to believe I was ever that 18-year-old girl. I’m only 30 and I already almost forget!

I want to celebrate me today – all of me. Even the stupid, rebellious, drama-queen 18-year-old who I almost forget existed. So I took a stroll down memory lane to see how far I’ve come and thought I would share with you 18 signs that I know this girl is now 30 years old:

 1. I drink wine.

Not Wildberry coolers, Kaluha, or Boones - but legitimate, tasteful wine. I even have preferences i.e. pinot noir versus merlot.

 2. I don’t lie to my parents anymore.

About anything. What’s the point? They have to of accepted me for who I am at this point, right? Plus, I live on my own and take care of myself. I don’t have ‘rules’ anymore – thank god! And yet somehow, those two crazy people (my parents) managed to raise a somewhat-responsible, normal human being with some self-discipline (me!).

3. I have bills.

I remember when getting something in the mail was fun and exciting, like getting a birthday card from my Grandma or a subscription to Seventeen magazine – now when I get mail I just get to find out how much of my shopping budget is going towards heating my house.

4. I don’t give a shit about petty gossip.

Oh, you think someone’s new hair cut isn’t very cute? Just the sole fact that you’re telling me this makes me like you less.

5. The music I liked in High School is now being classified into ‘eras’ and ‘genres’ such as Hits from the 90s and Classic Rock.

Really? When did Ashanti and Bush X get to be vintage? What do you mean you don’t know who Gavin Rossdale is?

 6. I don’t spend a lot of time doing my hair anymore.

Ok, sometimes I do. But for special occasions only. Not when I’m going to work on a Tuesday.

7. Almost all of my friends have babies and families, and I love them.

I've always loved my friends children, but now more than ever I want to hang out with their kids as much as I want to hang out with them. Who doesn’t love adorable, mini-duplicates of their best friends?

8. Quality time with friends usually includes coffee dates or doing something active, such as going for walks or to a yoga class.

Since time is so limited these days, we need to make the most of it when we’re together, and driving around in old beat up cars, smoking weed and listing to rap music isn’t going to cut it anymore!

 9. Qualifications for men I date now expand beyond ‘cute’ and ‘nice jeans.’ They include things such as ‘having a career’ and ‘owning a home.’

 10. ‘Going out’ no longer means meeting up with a bunch of friends at 7:30 p.m., getting ready, borrowing eachother's clothes, doing shooters, and dancing at the bar until 3 a.m.

Instead, it means dinner at The Keg and maybe a movie afterwards. Maybe. If we can catch the early show…

11. I like my family – immediate and extended.

Even though I may not have a lot in common with some of them and I think they’re weird sometimes, I appreciate them all very much.

12. I need a minimum of seven hours of sleep a night; eight is preferred.

And I have no problems admitting that out loud to a group of people and leaving somewhere early to ensure I get my rest.

13. I don’t like to change or upgrade things.

Newer and fancier? Nah, that means I just have to learn something new – again! Plus, I know it will be old again in a year. I’ll save my money, thanks.

14. Speaking of saving money – I do that. A person has to plan for retirement.

15. I do what I want.

Writing being one of them, yoga being another. It doesn’t matter if it’s cool or not, or what other people think. And if I don’t want to do something, I won’t do it. Simple as that.

16. I care about my health.

This includes craving healthy foods and going to regular dentist appointments. Road trip snacks are a little different than they were a few years ago, I think smoking is disgusting and staying active is essential.

 17. I know now that if I want to stay in shape and feel good that I have to put effort into working out – and I’m ok with that.

I enjoy going to the gym and living an active lifestyle…not to mention cheeseburgers go straight to my ass these days and I can’t eat a bag of Skittles without getting a sugar hangover.

18. And, last but not least, it’s hard for me to remember what I was like at 18! Was it really that long ago…?


What are some signs you know you're getting older? Do you find it hard to believe to you were once the 18 year old version of yourself?

Thanks for reading,

Lisa