Saturday, 28 February 2015

Finding Peace

I'm 31 years old today. A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine said that I looked "at peace." It caught me off guard a little bit because I've never thought of myself as being "at peace" before.
 
Growing up, my house seemed to always been in turmoil and I suffered much emotional distress. I didn't know what it meant to love myself or anyone else, nor did I think I would ever get there. I've since been thinking about what my friend said and have realized that holy shit, maybe I have found peace. Then I saw this moment captured by Des Iles Photography which again, caught me off guard, but reinforced my thoughts.
 
Maybe, I thought, I am happy. Maybe for the first time in my life, I'm ok. It may have taken me 31 years to get here, but I'm here. It's about the journey, not the destination, right?
 
I have yoga to thank for this. I have the people in my life to thank for this. But for the first time, without feeling guilty or selfish, I can say I have myself to thank for this. My life could have gone in many different directions, but it didn't.
 
Thank you, Dez Iles, for capturing this moment and sharing it with me. And thank you to every single person who's touched my life.
 
I feel grateful and...get ready for it...at peace ;)
 
 
Thanks for reading
xoxo